Team: Operations, Engineering & Distribution
The Director, Media Management will lead efforts to implement critical new media movement tools within PBS’ media director layer as part of a broader initiative to rebuild PBS’ media supply chain. They will be focused on establishing metadata-driven workflows and micro-services integration with and within the cloud-based new media supply chain. They will help develop the block-chain fabric, taxonomy and identification standards that will help drive the automated movement of content from acquisition to multiplatform delivery. They will also assist with the development of new station facing services while supporting and enhancing the existing services.. They will work with their OE&D peers to deploy cloud and hybrid-based procedures and technology to ensure at least 99.95% on-air reliability.
Essential duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for supporting and enhancing various cloud-based metadata driven workflows with and within the media supply chain that distribute media and related metadata across the organization and out to PBS’ multiple distribution destinations.
- Manage projects related to media file and metadata management, including identifying automation opportunities within the media space
- Metadata driven solutions deployed for media processing and multi-platform delivery, on-air and streaming services.
- Drive the definition and establishment of best practices in collaboration with editorial, technical and archival business units.
- Support the team responsible for maintaining existing legacy workflows
- Collaborate with other technology groups to identify opportunities which improve cloud-based file delivery processes, media asset management workflows / integrations
- Collaborate with other various PBS groups to identify and champion efficiency opportunities and improvements for cloud-based metadata driven processes and integrations
- Evangelize and empower NABET staff end-users to participate in orchestration, processing and monitoring of product.
- Work closely with PBS Digital to establish and maintain parity and common standards in regard to media acquisition solutions
- Evaluate and recommend solutions to engineering management and development teams for implementation of new and replacement systems as technology evolves.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to develop cloud-based media and technical metadata architecture
- Support organizational model and platform roadmap, working closely with the PBS Cloud Architecture & Governance team, PBS Digital & PBS IT team.
- Coordinate evolving business requirements for metadata driven workflow standards related to search, use and discovery of assets in context of the cloud-based archive
- Identify, diagnose, resolve, escalate and communicate problems and issues.
- Increase staff and management awareness and effective use of metadata throughout the Media Supply Chain.
- Research, evaluate and recommend methodologies, standards, and solutions for the creation, use, and archiving of metadata for the purpose of driving future efficiency.
- Represent OE&D as the liaison with internal and external customers, content providers and collaborators to ensure compliance with PBS metadata standards.
- Identify, document and report on metrics to assess capacity of metadata drive services and solutions
- Document and test technical processes and procedures.
- Author Knowledge Base articles about simple and complex media metadata issues and resolutions for use by both internal staff and external member station staff members.
Requirements for success:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Media Management including:
- Proficiency in taxonomy development and management to support metadata driven workflows.
- Prior knowledge of metadata standards, media asset management, cloud solutions and workflow systems.
- Production, post-production, broadcast, rich media/moving image archiving and re-use experience.
- Proficiency and prior experience in the analog to digital conversion process.
- Knowledge of industry related committees and standards organizations.
- Must have a proven ability to work with moderate to minimal supervision in a team-based environment.
- At least ten years of management experience in digital media, metadata management and associated technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, archival, library or information sciences, digital media or equivalent experience.
- Experience in a broadcast environment preferred
- Experience in public broadcasting preferred
- Ability to multitask effectively, must handle multiple streams of work requests, incidents, projects and management of others in an organized way
- Excellent time management skills – must be able to prioritize tasks and adapt to rapidly changing system requirements with minimum supervision
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent presentation skills and a desire to facilitate the implementation of metadata driven workflow designs and standard throughout the entire Media Supply Chain
- The ability to convey complex technical concepts effectively to both technical and non-technical staffers
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as written and verbal communications skills – must be able to work comfortably in highly diverse, cross departmental teams and interact effectively with member station representatives
- This position will require some travel, evening, weekend work and “on-call”
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities